Happy weekend everyone!
yes, i have not been following doctor's orders and taking my pills regularly, so the addiction is still here..
I can't get enough of playing with Half Square Triangles!! ^^
If you look at the pink coaster, err.. hmm.. yes but not too closely please.. thank you.. you will notice that i have quilt using a darning foot! yes.. i finally bought one..
BUT, that might be my first and last attempt at using it, because it broke one of my needle! arghh! so i quilt the turquoise coaster using presser foot instead.
anyway, i am trying to sign up for a free motion quilting class at my local quilt shop before my next attempt, BUT, they need to have a certain number of participants before they will start the class, and currently there is only me.. so, guess i will stick to lines quilting for awhile..
Anyway today, i'm going to share a fun and super easy tutorial for a coaster!
They make such great gifts for house warming and as festive gifts and so so easy to whip up.
please pardon the below photos, i took them using my iphone again, because silly me had forgotten to bring my camera home from Skylar's house again.. >_<"
Materials for making one coaster :
* Cut (8) 1.1" x 2.5" print strips
* Cut (2) 2.5" x 2.5" white squares
* Cut (2) 4.5" x 1" border (horizontal) strips
* Cut (2) 3.5" x 1" border (vertical) strips
* Cut (4) 1.75" square for border (corners)
* Cut (1) 4.5" square for backing fabric
* Cut (1) 4.5" square of cotton batting
Cut (1) 20" x 2.5" strip for binding
* Using 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
* This tutorial will be a great chance to use up all the scraps!
1) Grab 4 print strips and sew them together. Press Seams.
Make two sets of this.
2) Draw a line from one corner to the opposite corner on your two white squares.
3) Placed the already sewn 4 print strips and the white square right side together. Pin it.
Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew along each side of the drawn line.
4) Cut on the line, so now you have two half square triangle.
5) Press your two half square triangle seams open
See! There are so many possibilities for Half Square Triangles!
That is why i love it so!
you can fix them like this
or like this!
okay, commercial break over.. (tutorial back on)
Supernatural a swirly pop coaster tutorial :
6) Sew together as shown above and press seams open.
Trim to 3.5" square.
7) Lay four pieces of 1.75" square at each corner as shown above.
On each 1.75" square, draw a line from one corner to the opposite corner.
8) Sew directly on the drawn line for all four 1.75" square.
Trim off all four corners, as shown above.
9) Press the seams of all four corners open.
10) Lay out your borders strips as shown above.
11) Sew them together and press seam open.
Trim to 4.5" square.
12) Lay your backing fabric right side down on your work surface.
Place your cotton batting on top of the backing fabric
Lay your finish top on top of the cotton batting.
Pin them in place.
13) Quilt as desired, and trim away excess backing fabric and cotton batting.
14) Lastly, Bind them (i machine bind them for this time)! and you are done!!
Hope you enjoy making them as much as i do! ^^